Sunday, February 22, 2015

Milk Glass Collections

We have this milk glass collection that came from pieces of my husband's grandmother's estate.  I am not sure what pieces are what- I have not even checked if they are stamped or not.  We have them displayed in our entertainment center cabinets because Martha Stewart says, if you have a collection, put them all together!  (I could not find her quoting this but I am pretty sure it was her!)

Milk glass originates from the 16th century according to Wikipedia.It was widely popular in the 50's and telling the difference between older and old is challenging.  About Home.com gives some good descriptions about ways to potentially tell old from new milk glass, including pattern, mold marks, etc., but it is a challenge even to experts.  Here are pictures of our collection.

I found this piece yesterday in our local Habitat ReStore location.  It is in great condition and is for sale in my Etsy store.  I just love the basicness of milk glass.  This piece is a little more transparent than the pieces from Grandma K but still adorable in it's own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment